Saturday, December 27, 2008

Entry #10

How did Christianity change this culture?

From headhunting, cannibalism, and life and values filled with treachery, there is no doubt the Sawi people were transformed. Transformed to a culture with wisdom, overwhelming joy, and an ultimate peace. They had the opportunity...and they took it. They had the choice...and they choose. They didn't know...and they learned. They didn't want to...yet they persevered. The Sawi people were brave, strong, and weak all at the same time. They were brave to take a risk, to accept people they never knew, and to continue learning the "tuan" way. The Sawi ultimately allowed Christianity to change their culture...for the better. To change their culture from pain, hurt, killing, and ugliness, to a culture of opprotunity and learning. A culture with heart. Throughout Don Richardson's book, The Peace Child, the Sawi without knowing showed a dramatic change and transformation. Only God knows what they were feeling, yet God showed the ways he can take anyone, any situation, the good, and the bad, and make it wonderful. Make it His. Through the Sawi's I am able to recognize the beauty of change and transformation. Of opprotunity and the power of following God's will.
In a way, I think that Sawi, obviously without knowing, showed me how to be a better Christian. They showed me that anyone, anywhere can have a change of heart. Through trust and taking chances, through questions and answers (hard and easy), God is always there. By trusting Him and his will for my life, I can succeed and live my life how it is supposed to be. I hope that through my life, I can help those around me understand the greatness of an everlasting peace that only, like the Sawi began to understand, the “Ultimate Peace Child” can bring.

1 comment:

African Globe Trotters. said...

I have so enjoyed your blog. Your deep thoughtful insights show that you understand this work and the theme: the redemptive analogy of the Peace Child. Continue to strive for excellence! Mrs.Mc.